Over the past few weeks many of us have watched with bemused interest the Wall Street "occupation" and have shaken our heads at the sense of entitlement, logical incoherence, and in some cases, the outright racism coming from it's attendees. You can visit ttpdaily.com to see an example of this poor behavior on display. It has been obvious that the media microscope used to examine the hundreds of thousands of Tea Party participants nationwide has been placed in the closet when it comes to these two thousand "occupiers."
On October 15th Tucson will see our very own "Occupy Tucson" protest. The groups location for the protest, for some inexplicable reason, will be at the base of the Pancho Villa statue downtown. Nice imagery considering Pancho Villa has become legendary for many things, one of them being his brutality that left a swath of destruction and death on America's borders due to his raids.
Many have emailed or contacted TTP to suggest a counter protest. We think that would be a mistake. Tucson is home to all of us and our families. We don't "occupy" this city, as they intend to do, we live here and ARE active members of the greater Tucson area. The word "occupy" evokes images of hostility and militaristic suppression by outsiders. We ARE Tucson.
This does not mean we plan to sit by and do nothing. We plan to spend October 15th very busily engaged or to remain "occupied" by and for good things in OUR town. We are serious about this and urge you to participate in this silent, but much more effective "occupation". Not only will it send the right message to our community, it will benefit our friends and neighbors. We have made a post on the ttpdaily.com blog and would love it if you have any ideas or suggestions for "occupations" to post them there.
Here are a few ways we suggest you spend your time actively engaged or "occupied" in Tucson on the 15th:
1. Simply wear your TTP shirt all day. Wear it to Tucson Meet Yourself and support the small groups and organizations at that event. Several hundred people identifying themselves with our movement but acting normally will provide a nice contrast to the circus of the "occupy" movement.
2. Volunteer your time for the City Council Candidates. Let's face it, for far too long Tucson has already been "occupied" by those who seek to mire it in scandal and financial ruin. Go walk for a candidate or make calls. It's easy, really and needs to be done. For some volunteer options call Greg at Pima County GOP Headquarters at 321-1492.
3. Volunteer your time for a church or youth organization.
4. Pick up trash with your family in your neighborhood.
5. Volunteer at the Community Food Bank or do a collection for canned goods in your neighborhood with your family.
6. Tell us your suggestions at ttpdaily.com.
This is our home and we refuse to be forced to only "occupy" it. WE ARE TUCSON and will continue to remain politically active in order to make sure that all of our voices are heard!