Picture it: Miami 1988. You’re sitting out on the lanai with a glass of lemonade and a generous wedge of cheesecake. You might be on the set of The Golden Girls or you could be enjoying an amazing theme party.
Transform your house into the girls’ pastel-hued home for your next celebration. For tips, we consulted mom Olivia Schaber who threw her daughter Rae a next-level Golden Girls party for her fourth birthday. And before you ask, yes, even at four, Rae is a major fan of the show. “She’s obsessed with Sophia,” Olivia says.
Setting the Mood with Decorations
Olivia, who’s a whiz at party planning, says that to throw a Blanche-approved bash of your own it’s important to incorporate the theme well. “Anywhere you go in my house, you know the theme,” she says.
For a Golden Girls party, that means pretending like it’s Miami in the late ’80s: pastels, palm fronds and little touches that each character would appreciate (who can forget Sophia’s iconic wicker purse?).
- Party pack: You can get a start on the theme with this Golden Girls party pack which includes a banner, plates, cups and napkins.
- Cake topper: Turn any cake into a theme cake with the perfect cake topper. Prefer cupcakes? Try these tiny skewers perfect for popping into minis.
- Banners and buntings: String a banner across a doorway, table or pin it to the wall. These multipurpose decorations are an easy way to show off your theme.
For a party theme that’s a bit more niche like this one, Olivia recommends checking out Etsy. Plenty of shops sell fun party gear and many take custom requests.
Golden Girls-Inspired Food
For party food, you can get inspiration right from the Golden Girls cookbook. Or, do as Olivia, and go all out with decorated cutout cookies. They’re almost too cute to eat! Here are a few more ideas for snacks perfect for munching while you relax on the lanai:
- Cheesecake: A party is not a Golden Girls party without cheesecake. This is a must for your celebration.
- Antipasto: Give a nod to Sophia and Dorothy with this Italian snack. Antipasto served up as a tempting platter or stirred into a pasta salad is perfect for casual gatherings.
- Meatballs: Appetizer metaballs are perfect at any party. Combine them with a red sauce from Sophia’s recipe box and you’ve got a snack that tastes like it’s straight from Sicily.
- Crispy treats: A nod to Rose’s signature sperheoven crispies, rice crispy treats are always a people-pleasing sweet.
- Margaritas: If your Golden Girls party has more adult guests, mix up some margaritas. You’ll feel like you’ve taken a trip to the Rusty Anchor with Blanche.
Get into the Spirit
For a theme party, it never hurts to dress up! Olivia’s daughter Rae donned a cute Golden girls tee and skirt for her party. If you want to embrace those Miami vibes, snag yourself a printed shirt, 80’s-style windbreaker or tack a pin onto your lapel.
Keep party guests entertained with a few games that even Dororthy would enjoy.
- Golden Girls Clue: Yep, there’s an official Golden Girls edition of the classic board game! Put this out on the coffee table along with a deck of cards (also GG-themed) for guests.
- Mad Libs: Kids of all ages can appreciate a game of Mad Libs—especially with stories like “Out on the Lanai.”
- Photobooth: Olivia recommends a photo booth at parties. It’s a great activity for adults and kids, and it’s a good excuse to bring back old-school disposable cameras (kids get a kick out of them!). Snag some photo props to really set the scene.
- Piñata: Talented mom Olivia made her own piñata (how cute is that?!). You can complete your Golden Girls-themed party with a palm tree or pineapple piñata—both would get the stamp of approval from Rose.
While a celebration as awesome as this won’t soon be forgotten, sending guests home with a memento or snack is a great way to say thank you for being a friend. Guests at Rae’s party took home extra sweets in Golden Girls treat boxes. You can also check out some of our favorite Golden Girls gifts for favor ideas.
Olivia admits that it takes a lot of work to host a big party like this, but she says don’t be afraid to ask for help! It’s also never too early to start gathering supplies. She recommends grabbing a plastic bin and tossing any party gear you find on sale throughout the year. That’s a smart tip for any party, no matter the theme!
Throw a bash that would make Blanche proud! Check out how you can host your own Golden Girls party—cheesecake included.
The post How to Host a Golden Girls-Themed Birthday Party appeared first on Taste of Home.330694, Entertaining & Hosting, Home & Living